Irving Police and Fire Blue Christmas

MacArthur High student Zach Cheyney

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. For most people, it is a season of fireside meals with family, wonderful food, toys and gifts. But for the many underpriveleged families in Irving, Christmas is just another season of uncertainty.

To help as a guiding star during these times, the Irving Police and Fire departments have established Blue Christmas, an organization dedicated to providing toys and food to these families during the Christmas season.
“Blue Christmas is a joint effort between the Irving Police and Fire Departments,” Blue Christmas board member Gary Brockett said. “Each year we supply toys and food for about 400 families here in Irving during the holidays. That translates to roughly 800- 1000 boys and girls ages 1 through 16.”
Started in 1979, the Blue Christmas orginaztion is an important part of the holiday season in Irving.
“Over the past 37 years the program has been a huge success because of the efforts of the volunteers who run the program,” Brockett said.“But, most importantly, because of the citizens and businesses willingness and generosity to give their donations to the program because they know that all donations will be used to help people right here in Irving.”

To help these families, the organization gathers and distributes food and toys by running food and toy drives at local police and fire stations. High school students can help too, by dropping off the needed items at local police and fire departments.
“We are always in need of donations,” Brockett said. “Students can organize unwrapped toy and boxed/canned food collection stations at their schools, churchs, through sports teams, community events, etc.”
“We collect toys and food for needy children and their families during the holiday,” Brockett said. “It helps the citizens to see the emergency responders (who deliver the items) in a different light and to help them realize that the police and fire depts really do care about the citizens of Irving.”
So why should you help? As high school students it can be hard to manage christmas presents for friends and family. Why should you give gifts to people you don’t even know, and who you may never see?
“High school students should help in order to make Irving a city that cares about all people regardless of race, creed, and religion,” Brockett said. “To show someone that you care and because, it’s the right thing to do. Because some day it could be you that needs help and it’s nice to know that someone will be there.”
All donations go directly to the community. The toys and food donated go to local families, and any money raised goes to the purchase of these goods.
“Blue Christmas is run on donations only,” Brockett said. “We have no paid employees and there is no part of the city budget that is used for any part of it.”