Trump’s Freedom of Tweet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump’s Freedom of Tweet

MacArthur High student Jerri Moyes, Editor In Chief

In the age of social media, information and opinions are easy to share and easy to find. It doesn’t matter who you are, your social status, or where you live in the world, if you have an opinion, you can share it to your heart’s content. Information shared is public to anyone and everyone.

But where is there point where you have to draw the line? Are there some opinions you shouldn’t share? Are there some people who shouldn’t have as much freedom to share them?

A perfect case to look at, in this sense, is Donald Trump and his opinions he’s voiced on Twitter. He is a very loud and boisterous Tweeter, evidenced by his October 22nd Tweet saying, “It is finally sinking through. 46% OF PEOPLE BELIEVE MAJOR NATIONAL NEWS ORGS FABRICATE STORIES ABOUT ME. FAKE NEWS, even worse! Lost cred.” The excessive capitalization and exclamation points may make the Tweet bolder but it also shows immaturity.

He wants citizens to respect the country, or specifically the American flag and wants big consequences for those who don’t. He has been very vocal from the beginning of the whole kneeling for the flag situation. He rarely posted anything but his opinion on that situation despite the severe amounts of destruction from the multiple hurricanes plowing through the Caribbean islands.

Most tweets he sends out are shared over and over again on multiple social media sites and are criticized even to the point of making it on the news. Sparking controversy worldwide,  he is the voice of America right now and most people wish they could hit mute.

Social media, at least in the hands of government officials, should be treated delicately. As an elected official, they have more power in their twitter account than most people do within their whole lives. As Lauri-Ellen Smith, the chair-elect of the Public Relations Society of America’s public affairs and government committee said, “There are huge repercussions when you get it wrong or when you do it poorly.” While it seems what you say on Twitter or Facebook will stay there, depending on what you say, it could be all over the internet in a moment.

“A good rule of thumb for any public official is to never put anything on any social network that you wouldn’t be comfortable with appearing on the front page of your local paper,” Pennsylvania Democratic state Rep. Michael Schlossberg said. “When you put something out there digitally, it’s out there forever.”

At the least, Trump needs a better PR manager. At the most, he needs to