Trick or Treat Teenagers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trick or Treat Teenagers

MacArthur High student Jerri Moyes, Editor In Chief

As the Halloween season approaches, controversy begins swirling. An inevitable fact that plagues any holliday. One topic that has caught people’s attention year after year is what to do about teenagers trick-or-treating alongside children.

Most houses that pass out candy have seen it: a high school student, dressed in regular street clothes, carrying a pillowcase for candy. Not exactly in the spirit of the season. It irritates even the most kindhearted adult and makes them cringe.

They can’t deny them candy for threat of a “trick”. Egged houses and toilet papered trees are the most common. It isn’t a pretty or (easy to clean up) sight so most relent and give out the candy anyway. How the individual reacts to uncostumed teenagers is based on their preference and demographic.

The problem with this controversy is not every teenager is like that. There are a multitude of legitimate reasons for a teenager to wear a costume and go trick or treating, especially when they are in full costume. For example, they may have been in the hospital for most of their life, and thus this is their first real Halloween, or the “teenager” in a mask might just be a very tall middle schooler. In even more drastic situations, the candy they earn might be the only candy they can have all year or the only food they have for that night.

Even when these situations don’t arise, these are still young people, grasping on the last bits of their childhood. If a teenager is in full costume, pillowcase or small bucket, they are having fun in the Halloween spirit. It won’t hurt anyone to give a teen some candy on a holiday.

For the teenagers who aren’t comfortable trick or treating anymore or have restrictions regarding the activity, there are other options for fun on Halloween night. There are dozens of teenage traditions that are age appropriate and still give the goosebumps of All Hallows Eve. Parties or even block parties are a great way to get everyone together, whether it be for fifteen and up or for all ages. For more private fun, a horror movie or pumpkin carving party might be in order.

Halloween is supposed to be about childish fun. Let those who are young enjoy the holiday.