Don’t ever give up: Suicide Prevention

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don’t ever give up: Suicide Prevention

MacArthur High student Alora White and Mackenzie Porter

September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month but even as the month ends, help is still offered through out the year.

Help is offered year round to people who feel depressed or have suicidal thoughts: whether from the numerous suicide hotlines, friends, family members and school counselors.

MacArthur School Counselor Kaniesha McEwen answered some questions about how counselors handle situations involving students with suicidal tendencies.

When a student tells a counselor that they feel like they want to commit suicide, the counselor has a procedure they have to follow, “We assess the student and contact the parent, from our assessment, we decide what the next step will be,” McEwen said.

McEwen said that when students talk about their want to commit suicide – she and other counselors, “…let them know that they are special, that they matter. We also make sure that they know the counseling office is always a place that they can come if they need to talk or feel stressed.”

If you ever need help, there are multiple counselors to talk to, in the infographic is a Texas Youth hotline phone number, information offered by McEwen.

AP Psychology teacher, Joe Egger’s, provided a psychological view of suicide. When someone is thinking about committing suicide they usually show signs, Egger’s said three of the signs are when students,”… are being super depressed all the time or giving away things or saying things about killing themselves.”

Egger’s said that the best way to assist someone is to, “Try to get them help because sometimes when they say something, they actually are crying for help  and they don’t necessarily want to die they just want whatever they are going through to stop or think it’s a hopeless situation. A lot of times they can get counseling.”