School Day Dress Up

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Day Dress Up

MacArthur High student Jerri Moyes

As much as students despise it, the dress code and its enforcement is an important part of school life. Across the country, no matter how strict or loose the code is, many students feel the need to rebel against the rules and wear what they want. This is all part of teenage rebellion. But do schools enforce the dress code fairly? Is the dress code itself even fair?

In the rule book, ripped parts of jeans are not to be above the knees. Many students have reported getting sent to change for having rips on top of the knees but not above. Is this actually covered in the rule book or is the staff being too strict?

The most popular generalized solution to this dilemma is “If you aren’t sure if it is dress code appropriate, don’t wear it.” This is a simple solution but the problem of it is students shouldn’t have to try on their clothes every morning and look in the mirror and spend ten minutes making sure everything is above and beyond dress code appropriate just because a teacher might stretch the rules too far.

Incidents like this are mostly during the beginning of the of the school year when rules are strictly enforced and students out of dress-code are not allowed to go to class until their parents bring them “appropriate attire. The problem with this is not everyone lives ten minutes away or has parents that work fifteen minutes away. Imagine the problems that arise when a parent drives 30 minutes to drop their child off at school, drives another ten minutes to work and is suddenly called back and told that they need to drive all the way home and all the way back just to bring their child clothes.

Yes, sometimes this is needed seeing as some students come in completely inappropriate clothes and they need a punishment that suits the crime. But besides the class time they miss, and the embarrassment, depending on the parent there could be serious consequences at their work and the frustration from this is usually taken out on  the child.

As the school year comes to a close, dress-code enforcers have become more lax when it comes to rules and punishments. This is a gradual process and can not be pinned down to one day but it is obvious if you take a look at the first and last six weeks of school. The question here is if it isn’t a problem now, why go through the whole punishment process back then?

MacArthur has to find a happy medium between following the dress code to the T and allowing students to have a little breathing room. The 8th amendment still exists.